Having abdominal pain, blood in stool, constipation. History of hemorrhoids. Ultrasound showing lump in the liver

have been passing blood at the toilet have piles blood is only at times sometimes blood is small bits in my stools have had my stools tested came back clear had blood tests ok had ultrasound that was ok small lump in my liver fatty lump. only concern is abdominal pain in my abdomin had it for two weeks now it has eased quite a bit a bit consipated just now after food feel bloated go to toilet stomach rummbles samall cramp pains in my back shoulder. have a colonsoscpy next week have a good appitite no weight loss
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 6 hours later

From what I understand you have abdominal pain which has improved now. This is associated with constipation, abdominal bloating and blood in stools.

Grossly these symptoms are probably due to some intestinal pathology. I would be able to understand the problem better if you can provide me with the following details:

1. Blood in stools - Are you passing XXXXXXX blood with stools or you find blood in tissue paper/seat cover?
2. Abdominal pain - can you specify the location of pain? Whether or not it is crampy? Any relations to food?
3. Do you have history of any medical illness like diabetes, thyroid problems or recent medications use?
5. History of alcohol?

I will be able to address this issue after receiving these details.

Awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Having abdominal pain, blood in stool, constipation. History of hemorrhoids. Ultrasound showing lump in the liver 2 hours later
blood is small bits in my the past blood was in the water in the has been on the side off bowl and on the seat.abdominal pain is below my belly button.and above.two weeks ago it was all over my stomach and after i eat food i get bloated up pain feels like a tight band around my belly button in the morning.have a mental illness.take herbal tablets used to be on prozac been off them since july last year.taken a over dose 5 weeks ago. dont drink a lot off alcohol maybe 4 pints at the weekend. dont think it is cancer look to well
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Thanks for providing additional details.

Hemorrhoids (piles) typically cause blood staining tissue paper rather than blood mixed in stools. Considering you have small amount of blood in stools associated with reduced bowel movement constipation and abdominal pain I think your might be having blood test, stool test and ultrasound are normal. Colonoscopy now will help us plan the next step of management. If any suspicious pathology is found, it needs to be biopsied.

I understand you are concerned. But I don't think we are dealing with something serious like cancer, colonoscopy and biopsy will be useful in ruling out any serious pathology.

The bottom-line is the described symptoms are not suggestive of something serious / cancer. The closest possibility could be irritable bowel. It can be managed with proper diet and lifestyle modification. Medications like laxatives and stool softener and pain killers can help if symptoms are troublesome.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you can help you with any more concerns
If all your concerns are addressed, do accept the answer and close this discussion.

Wish you good health