Having abdominal pain and nausea. Noticed mucus and blood in stool. What am I suffering from?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I've been having abdominal pain, nausea, tummy growling then I went tot the restroom and my pop was black smelled horrible looks like mucus or clots and it had some blood?!?!?!?!
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
From the description of symptoms it appears that you are most probably suffering from dysentery. The cause of this may either be infection or alteration of the bacterial flora. To confirm the cause, a laboratory examination of the stools is a must. This will enable the physician to commence appropriate treatment.
If it is infective then a course of antibiotics is essential. If it is non infective then a course of supportive medications to improve the intestinal culture would be the treatment.
I hope this answers your doubt.
Follow-up: Having abdominal pain and nausea. Noticed mucus and blood in stool. What am I suffering from? 17 minutes later
But it looks real gooey, and I see no stool only gooey mucuse. I went again and the color changed to an army green but still stinks real bad. Should I go to the ER? This one also had bright red blood not much!
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 7 hours later
Thanks for the feedback.
From the description of stools which you have given it seems to be infective. I would suggest that you visit the ER or a specialist at the earliest. Proper diagnosis and prompt treatment is required.