Having a blood clot on calf. Experiencing lightheadedness and tingling in leg. What to do next?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I was in flip flops and I was on a hill didn't realize there was a hill I was taking my son out of the van and I felll toward him I dropped him and rolled down a hill 3 times my shoe fell off I felt instant pain in my foot ankle I looked up the hill grabbed my shoe and got back up to my son it was a little achy for a bit then pain was gone I walked into a restroom and back out shortly after then my foot started hurting bad I have iced it but I am unable to bare weight on a flat foot I have to walk on my toes and it hurts bad no bruise not much swelling if any at all but it hurts. It's my right foot I can't turn it in I get pain on inside and outside of ankle I can wiggle toes but it hurts I can point foot like a ballerina with minimal pain and pull toes up with minimal pain as well but no side to side it it hurts ankle bone both inside and out
Posted Tue, 20 Aug 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 13 minutes later
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

After going through your description, I suspect that you might have suffered a MINOR bony injury (as you are able to walk on your toes,no major fracture could be present) or a SPRAIN (injury to the ligaments).

The primary treatment for your condition would be as follows -

* PROTECTION - in the form of a splint or brace
* REST - avoid bearing weight on the limb
* ICE - Ice packing to alleviate the pain
* COMPRESSION - elastic compression bandage to limit the swelling
* ELEVATION - foot end elevation to resolve the oedema
* MEDICATIONS - Analgesic anti inflammatory drugs as needed

You need an xray of the injured part to rule out any fracture.

Consult an orthopedic surgeon and follow the advice accordingly.

Hope I have addressed your issues. Happy to help for any more clarifications.

Follow-up: Having a blood clot on calf. Experiencing lightheadedness and tingling in leg. What to do next? 4 minutes later
What is a minor bony injury
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 3 minutes later
Hi, thanks for getting back.

A minor bony injury can be a CRACK FRACTURE or an UNDISPLACED FRACTURE which usually requires only conservative management in the form of REST and IMMOBILIZATION for 2-3 weeks during which time the healing completes.

Good day