Having IUD. Has family history of breast cancer. Pronounced reaction to testosterone. Is implanting Progestin releasing device advisable?

My daughter (aged 41) has a family history of breast cancer and is thinking of having the XXXXXXX IUD. She also has an ususually pronounced reaction to her normal amount of testosterone (according to an endocrinologist's exam 20 years ago - ie breast hair, excessive facial hair, etc). Is implanting a Progestin releasing device advisable?
Many thanks,
Her mother, XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

As of now, there is no scientifically proven evidence that Progesterone released from IUD like Merina in Birth control increases the risk of breast cancer. The main regulator agency in the united states of XXXXXXX the FDA, after panel investigations by key scientists in the domain did not find any evidence of increased risk of breast cancer.

Some physicians research groups have proposed avoidance of Progesterone releasing IUDs in patients who have had a cancer of the breast within the past 5 years. Evidence suggesting avoiding its use in patients with a family history of breast cancer is very weak.

Considering the relative advantage of IUDs, especially the flexibility and easy to remove and rapid return of cycles in case the concerned would want to get pregnant, considering she is only 41 years of age and the fact that as of now, there actually exists no scientific grounding contraindicating use of Progesterone releasing IUDs in women with a family history of breast cancer, I suggest your daughter could be offered these method of contraception on two conditions:

1) A careful clinical and mammographic examination be made to be sure she does not have breast cancer.

2) Careful yearly clinical evaluation and bi annual mammographic examination be done to follow up and exclude any breast cancer. In case these fundamentals could be met, I think she should be offered the opportunity without any fear.

Thanks and hope I answered your query. In case you need any further clarifications, feel very free asking follow up questions. Wishing you all the est and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.