Having GERD , skin irritation, blurry vision. Drinks and smokes. Found polyps after colonoscopy. Advise?

My husband, 32 year old white male, has had an approximately 10 month history of GI issues, simple skin irritation, and now intermittent blurry vision. Initially our physician chalked it all up to anxiety. He was seen by an ER service where they did imaging of his brain (CT?), BNP testing and some other tests. My husband smokes between 1/2-1 pack of cigarettes a day, drinks beer anywhere between 3-5 days a week and does not have a healthy diet.

We started with a general practitioner that performed routine CBC/chemistry - which was normal. We have done trials of anti-anxiety medications - made stomach feel worse. Referred to a gastroenterologist. Did testing for celiac's - came back as one of the antigens were positive. Upper GI showed gastritis. After the upper GI was done he still felt bad. Moved on to colonoscopy - found polyps, recommended rechecking colonoscopy in 5 years. For a brief period of time after the colonoscopy his symptoms subsided, however they always return.

He complains of GERD type symptoms (acid reflux, foam in the back of his mouth), stomach pain (upper, middle abdomen) that can change places and radiate down the side of his abdomen, small little pink bumps that come and go, and now he says his vision gets blurry sometimes.

I'm at a loss as to explanations. His concern was some sort of autoimmune disease. I was wondering if Helicobactor pylori can cause similar signs. Or we could have completely separate disease processes going on.

He has a history of seasonal allergies and penicillin allergy
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 2 hours later
Thanks for the query,
Let me tell you that these problems could be related and/or a second separate cause for blurring vision may be possible. Without a neurological and systemic examination, it is difficult to further narrow down the possibilities.

From the blurring vision point of view, I advise you to get his eye pressure and optic fundii examined by an eye specialist. This will guide us regarding the requirement of a brain scan if at all required or not. If the eye pressure, eye check up and scans of the brain are normal, the other possibility of a medication induced blurring vision could be possible. I personally feel that a biopsy of either stomach/small intestine may help after due consultation with a gastroenterologist.

Hope this helps
Please get back if you have any other concern
Follow-up: Having GERD , skin irritation, blurry vision. Drinks and smokes. Found polyps after colonoscopy. Advise? 13 minutes later
I agree he needs to have a good eye exam. We had biopsies taken with the upper and lower GI studies. Gastritis is the only thing that came up. Maybe we can talk about more broad categories of chronic gastritis and if any of them can cause skin irritation? My husband does a lot googling, which in turn makes him more anxious. Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 37 hours later

Thanks for the query,

Please get a detailed eye check up which will suggest if he has any eye/neurological problem.

Yes, I agree that he may be having some sort of chronic gastritis if not resolved please get re-evaluated in a university medical hospital

Googling is better, but not always. Some of my patients are already med before they are inside my room
Best wishes