Having Aphasia and dizziness. Report shows groin hernia and enlarged lymph nodes. Family history of cancer. Help?

my husband has a positive XXXXXXX and a positive anti-dna (ds) and no symptoms of Lupus he just got over pneumonia and has some neurological issues going on like Aphasia and alot of dizziness that wakes him up in the middle of sleeping which is really bizarre it is very scary and he has already had a MRI and 3 CT-Scans but he has what looks like a groin hernia that i am afraid is lymphoma because of everything going on it is the one thing that everything points to but the Ultrasound on the hernia confirms no enlarged lymph nodes but I know it could be a misdiagnosis he is 62 yrs. old and has lung cancer in his whole family they have all died and so I am on the look out he has sub-centimeter spots on the lungs and in the brain but they said they are too small to worry about now just watch them mean while his dizziness is constant and we can't wait we need to do something about finding out what is going on before it is too late! Can you help?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 hours later

I have read your query with diligence. I am sorry that your husband is suffering.

Let me discuss all the points that seem important here.

I am surprised that your husband has a positive XXXXXXX and a positive anti-dna (ds) and has no symptoms. I shall discuss about this again.

I am glad he has got over the pneumonia.

I see that your husband is 62 years old now, and that he has aphasia and a lot of dizziness.

I do not think there is a need to do anymore MRI or CT scans.

Hernia is entirely different from lymphoma, as you might already know. Firstly, an enlarged lymph node must be clinically palpable by the physician. When it is not palpable, at least, it must be visible on the ultrasound. Therefore, I do not think there is any misdiagnosis here.

I agree with you that there may be sub-centimeter spots in either the lungs or the brain. However, you must also realize that the radiological investigations like MRI and CT scans may not pick the micro-deposits, if any. It would also be unethical on the doctor's point to look for such things when there is no actual clinical evidence of the same.

Hence, I agree with the doctor's as well to ‘wait and watch’ them.

With the aphasia present and the dizziness, I could think of an early onset Alzheimer’s disease here.

Just another possibility could be antibodies (ANA) were more prevalent in MS patients than in normal individuals.

You could probably get a ‘brain evoked potential test’ done on your husband to not overlook this possibility.

Please be patient, there are still few things that cannot be controlled by humans. We can only watch over it, delay the progress.

In my opinion, I do not see any major health concern with your husband except for the aphasia and dizziness. These may be the symptoms of early onset senility, I am unsure.

I have written in brief about my opinion. We could discuss further if you wish.

Let me know. Regards,
Follow-up: Having Aphasia and dizziness. Report shows groin hernia and enlarged lymph nodes. Family history of cancer. Help? 8 hours later
Thank you for your opinion but I realize that Dr.'s don't know everything and that some things are just not diagnosable right now But I would like to know if there is a Rheumatologist available that I could talk to because when you read about other reasons for a positive XXXXXXX and a positive anti-DNA there are many and several of them have some symptoms that match my husband's but there are so many factors involved that I think a Rheumatologist is my next step. But I would like to mention your opinion on the hernia and I wanted to tell you i printed out an article that talks about how many times hernias are misdiagnosed and that even during the operation many times Dr.'s still can't tell that there is cancer there but Only during lab testing is it discovered and my husband has all the symptoms of Lymphoma. So if there is an oncologist that specializes in this kind of cancer or a Rheumatologist there that i can talk to it would be very helpful Do you know how I can request a certain type of Dr. on here or do I just get one at random like how I got you? I will be waiting for your answer. Thank You very much! XXXXXXX Facteau at YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 10 hours later

That's great. You have made a wise choice. Yes, you must discuss with a Rheumatologist about this.

If you are a subscription user, you may post a new query and request a Rheumatologist to answer it. If you are a onetime user, then you probably have to start another new thread with a new payment. This is all I know :).

I agree with you that a hernia could be lymphoma and only excision and histopathological examination of the excised tissue can confirm the same.

I wish your husband recovers quickly and you would be happily living with him.

I wish both of you good health.

Take care!