Ask a Urologist   »  

Have warts on penis. Not cured by applying podowart. What should I do?

HIV AIDS Specialist
i have warts on my penis. a doctor has been applying podowart twice a week for two months but they havent gone please help thanks a ton
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later

Welcome to Health Care Magic.

May I ask you few questions before I answer your query?
1. After application of podowart whether the lesions regressed and reappeared or not at all responding?
2. Are you a diabetic or immuno-compromised?
3. What is the size of lesion?

Podowart application must be left dried for at least 3-4 hours before you wash it.

Recently more pure forms of podophyllin are available in the name of podophylotoxins. It can be self applied twice daily for three days in aweek for 3-4 weeks.
Immiquimoid 5% cream is another self applied drug thrice in a week for upto 16 weeks.
Cryotherapy is another method by which liquid Nitrogen application and freez the lesion and its total tissue.
Electrocautery can be applied under anesthesia.
Larger lesions need surgical excision.

Systemic drugs like Acitretin can be tried along with local measures.

If your sexual partners are not examined and treated properly you may likely to get recurrence.

If you attend a Dermatovenereologist clinic, he/she will guide you properly.

After hearing from you I will answer to your follow up questions.
Wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr S.Murugan