Have very low heart beat count. Doctor say its normal. Father has heart problem. Any danger?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Hi Dr.,

During my recent check up with a doctor., my heartbeat count was only 50-52/3 on average. The doctor did say this is ok. However., the normal range is 65 - 90 based on age. Im currently 38. So., pls. advise if this is normal for my age or what could be done to increase the heartbeat ??

Just to inform you., my father has heart problem and he has undergone angio..
Until now., I have not had any problem / treatment for my heart. The above heart beat rate is now worrying me...

Pls. advise.

Posted Tue, 9 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The range of heart rate that your doctor mentioned is average range that most of the population for your age would fall within. However, there will always be fit and healthy people who's heart rate is either above or below this range. You don't mention you have any health problems therefore your heart rate is perfectly OK for you.
I understand your concern as your father had a heart problem but this doesn't necessarily mean you will suffer heart problems.
If you are able to carry out normal physical activities without unexpected dizziness or breathlessness then I can reassure you your heart rate is appropriate for you.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
Follow-up: Have very low heart beat count. Doctor say its normal. Father has heart problem. Any danger? 34 hours later
Thanks Dr for the feedback. It does help.

As regards, breathlessness, I haven't felt that..however, I do get some sort of dizziness., meaning., my eyes would suddenly black out and in few seconds I would be back to normal....but this is not a frequent thing and occurs very occasionally...the last time it happened that I could recollect is many moths ago.., probably in the evening...

Not sure if this has any relevance to the heart rate...but since you mentioned about dizziness., I thought its worth mentioning...

Pls. Advise.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 2 hours later
If the dizziness was related to an abnormal heart beat it would most likely be occurring frequently. The occasional dizzy episode is, again, nothing to worry about.
I am confident that your heart beat is appropriate for you.
Dr K A Pottinger