Have vertical lump protruding from sternum to belly button and abdominal fullness. Hernia?

Hi, when I lay back, I have a vertical lump that protrudes from my sternum to my belly button. I also have abdominal fullness. Could this be a hernia?
Posted Tue, 8 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Guru 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Physical exam is madatory

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for consulting HealthcareMagic!

I can understand your concern. There is a possibility but a physical examinatioin is absolutely necessary to suspect hernia. We need elicit variety of things like cough impulse, reduction of swelling etc to suspect hernia.

Incisional hernia should be suspected mainly in the differential diagnosis. Risk factors for Incisional hernia include wound infection after abdminal surgeries, being overweight etc. However, without physical examination it is very difficult to say since there are other possibilities as well. if suspected after physical, an ultrasound may be necessary for confirmation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please let me know!
If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows:
Wish you good health.