Have ventral hernia, bulges when eating. Painful. Want opinion about surgery

I have a ventral hernia. I've had it for several years, it has gotten larger. When I eat, the hernia
bulges out and I have pain, I massage the hernia. Sometimes it makes it feel better, if not I
feel that I have to have a bowel movement. If I do the pain subsides. I intend to have surgery.
I would appreciate your opinion. Thank You, XXXXXXX Destra
Posted Thu, 20 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
A hernia is an opening or weakness in the muscular structure of the wall of the abdomen. This defect causes a bulging of the abdominal wall. This bulging is usually more noticeable when the abdominal muscles are tightened, thereby increasing the pressure in the abdomen. Any activities that increase intra-abdominal pressure can worsen a hernia; examples of such activities are lifting, coughing, or even straining to have a bowel movement. Imagine a barrel with a hole in its side and a balloon that is blown up inside the barrel. Part of the inflated balloon would bulge out through the hole. The balloon going through the hole is like the tissues of the abdomen bulging through a hernia.
Your intestinal movement after eating is causing the intestines to herniate. A bowel movement decreases the intestinal movement and the pain subsides.
A hernia repair requires surgery. There are several different procedures that can be used for fixing any specific type of hernia. It is best to go for a surgery to avoid any future complications.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.