Have under active thyroid and want to know alternate way other than Blood test to check it?

hi have an under active thyroid and want to know if there is any other way other than blood tests you can check it
i have been feeling very flat lately more so than usual,my problem is i dislike going to see doctors because i cannot seem to find one that i like and feel comfortable with, i have not been for a check up for two years. what happens if i dont sort things out with my thyroid
Posted Wed, 2 Oct 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unfortunately blood tests are the best option

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Thyroid function is mainly assessed by blood tests and imaging.

At present the blood tests would be the most useful option. They would assess the thyroid hormone level and the TSH level.

The imaging tests include ultrasound of the thyroid and radioactive iodine uptake.

The ultrasound is not thought to be particularly useful in hypothyroidism however unless it is thought that there is a specific lesion in the thyroid causing an effect.

Radioactive iodine also may not be useful in this setting because it requires the thyroid to be producing enough hormone itself for useful information to be obtained.

If you are not comfortable with your current doctor, you may want to find a new clinician who can asses and treat you.It must be very difficult to deal with symptoms of low thyroid.
There are websites that can identify doctors in your particular location such as WWW.WWWW.WW au, WWW.WWWW.WW au.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions