Have ulcerative colitis in remission, take Asacol. Planning to get breast augmentation. Advise?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi I have ulcerative colitis in remission for 6 years and I take Asacol. I am planning to get breast augmentation would it be safe?
Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is safe

Detailed Answer:
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to assist you.

Ulcerative colitis in remission is not a contraindication for breast augmentation surgery. It is safe. You can go ahead with breast augmentation surgery (provided your doctor says you do not have any other issue that is a contraindication).

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Have ulcerative colitis in remission, take Asacol. Planning to get breast augmentation. Advise? 2 hours later
Thanks for your quick response. Does Asacol contain asprin? Does surgery make you get a flare up?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No Asacol does not contain aspirin.

Detailed Answer:
No, Asacol does not contain aspirin.

Surgery does not flare up ulcerative colitis. The most common trigger factors for ulcerative colitis flare up are infection and NSAID medications.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini