Ask a Urologist   »  

Have type 2 diabetes. Noticed blood in urine. Getting stinging sensation. What could this be?

I urinated prior to going to bed this evening at about 1130. There was a red XXXXXXX in the firs few drops and then normal urine. Later in bed about 45 mins,. later and before falling asleep i fellt a minor lumpiness/stinging sensation but thought nothing of it until soon after i felt a discharge take [place and on investigation found deep red blood coming from my penis. I wiped this away as it occurred which was not very long and then it stopped. Nothing further since . Ihave had no previous trouble in that area . I am 79 years old and type 2 diabetic otherwise reasonably fit and healthy and mobile. Any suggestions as to what this might be?
What action should I take if it occurs again. No pain or other symptoms at present?
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 20 minutes later
Welcome to the forum.
At your age with diabetes, If you are not circumcised, it is most probably due to infection of the foreskin and the glans (Head of penis).
You need physical examination and take it from there.
Kindly XXXXXXX your GP asap.
Best regards
Follow-up: Have type 2 diabetes. Noticed blood in urine. Getting stinging sensation. What could this be? 12 minutes later
! was circumcised as an infant so do not think this is the source of the problem as blood is coming through penis in manner of urine.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 1 hour later
Welcome back.
Then it falls under evaluation for blood in urine to find out the cause, most probably stone, infection or tumour mass.

The next steps are
1. Urine complete analysis.
2. Urine culture and sensitivity.
3. Ultrasound scan of the abdomen with residual urine.

Based on the results treatment needs to be started.

There is no medicine to stop the bleed as such, unless it stops itself.
We need to look for the cause and treat.
Hope you understand.
Best regards