Have two external hemorrhoids. What are the different ways to treat?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have two external hemorids that have been bothering me. What are the different ways to treat this? What tips can you provide when dealing with this condition.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 56 minutes later
Hemorrhoids are swellings of veins in the area of the anus which can become sometimes painful and itchy. There can sometimes be a stinging sensation as well with bowel movements.

The best treatment for this usually includes a topical medication and possibly a suppository. I usually recommend a topical medication such as Preparation H. There are many different generic varieties of this medication. The main active ingredient is hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone service to decrease inflammation and help with the itching. In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

First of all lifestyle measures need to be incorporated.

1) A Normal American diet lacks right amount of fibre. You should increase the fiber in your diet by eating fruits and vegetables. Be a smart grocer, choose foods which have fibre more than 25gm in the nutrition information label

2) You can also sit in hot sitz bath by sitting in a shallow bucket with hot water three times a day. The heat would help in relieving the discomfort and pain of the hemorrhoids.

3) Application of local anesthetic gels and vaso constrictors like Preparation H are also useful.

4) However for specific treatment, you have to consult a surgeon. Some of the preferred methods are injection sclerotherapy, rubber band ligation and by surgical method like hemorrhoidectomy. Nowadays laser coagulation and infrared photocoagulation are also used.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Have two external hemorrhoids. What are the different ways to treat? 2 hours later
i noticed that there are several preperation H type creams out there. Which one is best?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
All such ointments have almost similar efficacy. You can use the preparation H itself for relief.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Have two external hemorrhoids. What are the different ways to treat? 22 hours later
I forgot to mention that it is a large XXXXXXX hemorrhoid. What are my treatment options? Please be as specific as possible.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
The treatment of large XXXXXXX hemorrhoid if it is bleeding and painful is surgical. The conservative treatment is suggested till you can carry on with a normal lifestyle with the hemorrhoid.
An individual assessment is needed after a physical examination for definitive treatment.
Till the time you go for surgical treatment, conservative treatment will help in symptomatic relief.