Have tricuspid regurgitation. Get Jugular vein pulsation at night. Are these related?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2014
Apr 2014

Radiologist
Question
I have mild to moderste tricuspid regurgitation my JVP pulsates at night will this improve over time ? Should I be concerned about this ?
Posted Thu, 5 Dec 2013 in Valvular Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Need to see other signs of right sided failure. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Jugular vein pulsation at night is due to congestion in supine position.It is due to tricuspid regurgitation.You need proper clinical checkup and investigations. Increased pressure in jugular vein is due to congestion in right side of heart and it may result in right sided failure. Right sided failure presents in the form of hepatomegaly,edema and ascitis. You should consult your cardiologist. If there is any signs of congestion then diuretics should be given to clear excess fluid from the body. Definitive treatment of TR should also be done. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX

Follow-up: Have tricuspid regurgitation. Get Jugular vein pulsation at night. Are these related? 11 hours later
I see you are a radiologist .... Have you ever experienced a platium coil migrate to the heart when it was placed in the internal illac artery ?

Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 20 hours later
Brief Answer: It is unlikely Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX I have not come across any platinum coil migrating to the heart when placed in internal iliac artery. It is less likely to happen because the blood flows away from heart and into legs and the coil will not go towards heart. Get well soon. Hope i have answered your query. Further queries are most welcome. Take Care Dr.Indu XXXXXXX