Have trichomonas. Noticed red spots on tongue with bad taste. Are they related?

please help! I have recently been found to have Trichomonas. Today i noticed small red spots on the top of my tongue which leaves a horrible dry taste. Can this be connected? If not what could it be? Please help me x
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 2 hours later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Trichomonas is not associated with oral infections. Small bumps on the tongue that are painful are common and typically go away with observation. It is way more likely that the taste in your mouth is related to the antibiotics usually used to treat trichomonas, namely metronidazole.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have more questions.
Follow-up: Have trichomonas. Noticed red spots on tongue with bad taste. Are they related? 5 hours later
Thank you so much. I was worried this is also another type of infection. Also need to start the medication again as i had contact with my husband being very foolish. Will this leave any side effects? Can blood in urine be due to this infection as on testing urine it always comes up as blood?
Thank you so much God bless u and keep you happy in all you do :)
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 14 hours later
Thank you for the followup.

I believe that some of what you are experiencing is related to side effects of the medication. If your husband was not completely treated and you had sexual contact, then you DO need to be retreated. In addition, you should also have repeat cultures done after treatment to confirm clearance of this STD.

Blood in the urine is most commonly associated with bladder infections or kidney stones. This should also be evaluated, as the medication used to treat trichomonas does NOT cover bladder infections.

Trichomonas infections are not associated with long term problems, but when this infection is found, there should be screening for other STD's as well that have an actual chance of causing long-term problems (e.g. Chlamydia).

I hope this helps and good luck!