Have to take acelylcystein perscribed by doctor. Can I take acelylcysteine injection for intravenous use?

Have to take acelylcystein as perscribed by my doctor. The box I picked up from the drugstore says acelylcysteine injection for intravenous use. Can I drink this as told or did I get the wrong perscribition?
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

There are both oral, inhaled and intravenous formulations of NAC (N acetylcysteine); the oral form usually comes as a liquid or a powder that you reconstitute; those presentations are the ones you need; the IV presentation is usually used in the hospital for prevention of contrast nephropathy or acetaminophen poisoning.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN