Have thyroid which is under control. Have had abortion, foetus was not growing. Not able to conceive. Suggest?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Hi Doctor,

I got married in Dec 2011. My wife got preganant in feb 2012 but because of she has thyroid baby was not getting mature so we had abortion. After that my wife thyroid treatment is going on.

We tried a lot of time during this period but my wife did not get preganant, as doctors said till the time thyroid comes under control you will face this problem.

Now my wife's thyroid is almost under control but I loose my confidence because we tried a lot but we did not succeed.

I used to tired very soon. I just wanted to know that is there any medicine which can increase my efficiency while doing sex, and which doesnt have any side effects.

Please suggest me.

Posted Fri, 17 May 2013 in Getting Pregnant
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 5 hours later
It's unfortunate that you had to lose the first pregnancy. As I was reading your query, the thought that came to me was - how are we sure that your wife's thyroid problem caused the baby not to mature.

There may be many reasons for a baby not 'maturing'. Also important is to find the reason why your wife has not conceived after that. It's important to find these two reasons because then treatment is easy and you can be blessed with a baby. Please ask your doctor to get complete blood tests on your wife including Blood Sugars, tests for infections like VDRL, Hepatitis B antigen, HIV; tests to rule out Anti Phospholipid Syndrome etc. If periods are delayed and irregular, check blood for Prolactin hormone also. What I'm trying to tell you is that get your wife investigated from all angles - loss of one pregnancy and infertility. You may find some test which turns out positive. Then treatment of that abnormality can help your wife in getting pregnant.

Since your wife has been unable to conceive since Feb 2012, it may be wise to check whether her tubes are open or not.
Get one Transvaginal Ultrasound to look at the size, volume and appearance of the ovaries.
Also check your own semen to see if the count, movement and appearance of the sperms is normal.

All your efforts will bear fruit. At least it will give you a focus and direction.
As far as your 'tiredness' is concerned, this question is beyond my speciality since we don't deal with it. It may be best for you to consult an XXXXXXX (= doctor dealing with male sexual problems) or an Urologist if an XXXXXXX is not available to you.

If you deal intelligently with your doctor and discuss the guidelines to your wife's management as I have detailed above, you are likely to find the actual reasons for the problems which you have.
My best wishes for you and your wife.
Take care,
Dr Nirja Chawla