Have thyroid lump, fever and started losing weight. Taking thyronorm. Do I need surgery?

Question
I am 21 yr old. i ve a thyroid lump on the rt lobe frm past 2 month. i need a suggestion frm d specialist. Day by day my weight is decreasing (lost upto 8 kg for 2 months) and i have fever frm past 2months. i took many medicines like Thyronorm for one month but no use at all. The doctor who suggested thyronorm and calcium supplements asked me follow up if there is no improvement. My Thyroid profile is apparently normal by the doctor with TSH around 2.5. My family doctor said that I need surgery. I am confused and worried.
Posted Fri, 12 Oct 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 3 hours later
Dear XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in. There are two problems pertaining your case- first the nodule in thyroid and 2nd fever and weight loss. If thyroid gland makes mor thyroid hormone or someone who doesnt requore thyroid hormone is given thyronorm they can develop these symptoms ur gland is functioning normally so it isnt responsible for the symptoms. If it was due to thyronorm then they should have resolved witjin one month after stopping it. So these symptoms have to be considered ad a separate problem and you may need to consult a physician for them.
Coming back to nodule in thyroid - there are two concerns in any nodule 1st is produxing or associated with altered thyroid function. In ur case this is not a concern. 2nd thing is if the nodule is a neoplasm. The only way to rule out this is by doing ultrasound looking for abnormal features in the nodule and getting Fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of the nodule. Iwant you to go thru these tests because furher managent is dependent on them. Nodules in ybyroid are common in females of ur agegroup and not all of them require surgery. So dont panic get the tests done, consult a physician and also repeat thyroid function test( t3, t4 and tsh) .
Get back to me with the results
Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Have thyroid lump, fever and started losing weight. Taking thyronorm. Do I need surgery? 18 hours later
I have done fnac test also i ve all the reports with me

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 1 hour later
Ok then ther must be something abnormal/suspicious on FNAC. Then it is better to get surgery done. It may still turn out be sumthing benign postop &surhery is precautionary to not miss anything serious.
Shivaprasad