Have systemic sclerosis. On Mycophenolate mofetil , ecosprin, rablet D. Can pregnancy be continued?

May 2013
my disease is systemic sclerosis(CREST).
Currently, I'm on

Mycophenolate mofetil 500 mg 3tab in morning n 3tab in evening x last 6 months(Nov 2011 till now)

Mycophenolate mofetil 500 mg 2tab in morning n 2tab in evening x 12 months(Nov 2010 to Nov 2011)

Shelcal HD 1in morning n 1 in evening

Ecosprin75mg 1 in a noon

Rablet D 1 in a morning(antacid)

Tazloc trio(BP) 1 in a morning.
my wife is about my wife's pregnancy.
1) Should she continue pregnancy or what ?

2)What will be the complications for the baby if she will continue ?

3)If there are complications in pregnancy then she can abort urgently?
Posted Tue, 5 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 17 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Systemic sclerosis is a systemic autoimmune disease affecting connective tissue. These complex disorders are said to have a familial tendency ( which means they run in families) but they do not have a pattern in inheritance so estimating the risk to the baby is difficult. Though your child does have a genetic predisposition but the chances of your baby developing the disease are very less.
The risk is reported to be increased with paternal age. Fathers older than 50 years have aa high chance of passing on the disease to their children.
Coming to drugs used by you,
Mycophenolate mofetil (Cellcept) can affect the motility of the sperms to some extent affecting the fertility but abnormality of spermatozoa because of this is very less (0.18%)
To answer your questions,
1. Your wife can continue the pregnancy as the genetic predisposition is very less.
2. The anomalies of the baby because of autoimmune diseases cannot be detected at present. I would like to know her gestational age. If she is below 12 weeks, she can go for antenatal scan. If around 16 to 18 weeks go for anomalies scan and triple test with the advice of your gynecologist which can rule out some possible anomalies like neural tube defects.
3. As there is very less chances to have complications, there is no need to go for abortion. Let her have regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations. Further management can be done depending on your doctor's advice.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.