Have symptoms of menopause. Suffer severe menstrual cramps, irregular periods, hot flashes and mood swings. Guide?

Excellent

Infertility Specialist
Question
hi two years ago I symptoms of menopause at the age of 28 and those were severe menstrual cramps, irregular periods, hot flashes and mood swings. my family doctor put me on a birth control pill called "tricyclen" and it worked for 3 months but then after 3 months I started having side effects and I tried to tolerate them cause I was told that they might go away. I tolerated them for 2 months and then gave up cause they weren't going away so I stopped taking the pill. I'm not taking birth control pills at this point but I do get my periods but does that the fact I was having symptoms of menopause two years ago at the age of 28 means that I've started going through menopause right? I don't want this to be the case since i'm not married yet and have no kids.
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 13 days later
Brief Answer:
Some investigations needed.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Menopause can't be predicted by symptoms alone. Though looking at your medical history It appears you are going through menopause, some investigations are needed to confirm It. You can do following tests on second day of your menses (stop contraceptive pills/estrogen/progesterone tablets at least 4weeks before tests to know real results)
Investigations; transvaginal scan for ovarian volume & antral follicle count, blood tests- FSH, LH, ESTRADIOL, AMH.
After test reports only we can confirm true status.
Kindly get the tests done for further advice.

Let me know if you have other concerns.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have symptoms of menopause. Suffer severe menstrual cramps, irregular periods, hot flashes and mood swings. Guide? 24 hours later
what do you think the results of the tests will be? can you guess?

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be menopause

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
It can be menopause, but has to be confirmed by the investigations already mentioned.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have symptoms of menopause. Suffer severe menstrual cramps, irregular periods, hot flashes and mood swings. Guide? 12 minutes later
this hormone imbalance that I had two years was caused by the subactute thyroiditis that I had. I had subacute thyroiditis and it lasted for about 4 months and about 2 or 3 months after my thyroid balanced out I developed symptoms of severe hormone imbalance and was put on birth control pills. am no longer taking them cause after 3 months of taking those pills they caused side effects and I stopped cause I couldn't tolerate them. but do you still think that it could be menopause? didn't happen on its own. it happened as a result of subacute thyroiditis.

I was only 28. now i'm 30. you still think that it can be menopause?

Answered by Dr. Dattaprasad 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

As I told earlier menopause can't be predicted by symptoms alone. Menopause occurring so early is labelled as premature menopause and we do find patients under 30 years presenting with premature menopause.

In your case, suspicion of menopause is due to multiple disorders you are suffering from, which can be associated with menopause. Most important thing is to investigate it & go for early treatment.
As you told, menopausal symptoms may have been due to subactute thyroiditis, but still its better to get investigated.

I wish you take my word and proceed to get the tests done.

Regards.