Have swollen lymph nodes located near ears. Took antibiotics. What to do?

I have had swollen lymph nodes for 5-6 weeks and each week they get bigger and bigger. They are located in front of my ears and have now swollen down to my neck and a little bit behind my ears. Both lymph nodes on both sides of my face are the same size. I have been on 2 rounds of really heavy antibiotics with no results.

I uploaded two pictures for you to look at, to the right hand panel, that would be helpful in this problem. They are both my left and right lymph nodes.
Posted Fri, 23 Aug 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

I apologize but I am not able to view the pictures which you sent. I think the photo failed to upload completely. If you would like to send a picture I would recommend that you send a copy of the picture via e-mail to the directors of the website and they can forward it to me.

Regarding your history I think it is important that you again XXXXXXX with your doctor to discuss the fact that your symptoms have not improved despite antibiotics. There are some medical issues which can cause swelling of lymph nodes. Sometimes viruses can do this but sometimes problems within the lymph node need to be diagnosed through biopsy.

Since you are having more extensive swelling of the lymph nodes it is possible that a biopsy might be recommended. When a biopsy is done one of the lymph nodes is sent to a pathologist who has expert training in reviewing these types of things. The pathologist can then tell your doctor what is causing your problem in most cases.

Thank you again for sending her question. I am looking forward to seeing the photo which you have to show. Please send a copy of it to the website director and I will get back to you with my interpretation. Otherwise if you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those here with you.

Dr Galamaga