Have swollen lymph nodes in neck. Should I be concerned?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am looking at "Lymphadopathy" ? my Dr. wants me to see a specialist due to swollen lympy nodes in my neck?
Posted Sun, 7 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 22 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.

you probably mean lymphadenopathy.first you don't have to be concerned, this is very common and if you don't have any symptoms there may be no any cause. but it is usually advisable to do further tests to rule out some less common but more serious diseases.
there are many possible causes but the most commonly this is caused by infection. It can be just mild respiratory viral infection or any other viral or bacterial infection such as pneumonia, tuberculosis, toxoplasmosis, hepatitis, mononucleosis,rubella and some other. Also if your enlarged lymphnodes are painful then it can be lymphadenitis.
this can be ruled out by some blood tests.

secondly, it can indicate malignant disease such as lymphoma,leukemia ,breast and other carcinomas but of course this is the last thing to think of. If specialist has any doubt about it then biopsy of lymph node will be done. So I suggest to visit specialist just to be sure and prevent some serious diagnoses. Wish you good health. If you have any questions I ll be glad to help. Regards