Have swollen lymph nodes. Suffer constipation and abdominal pain. What can be done?

I have had swollen lymph nodes down my neck (symmetrical) and one on the left side where the ear meets the jaw for 6 months now, I have been constipated (my feces is ball like, hard to pass twice daily or every other day, sometimes every two days before evacuation), as well as pain on the left and right sides of my abdomen, just above the navel.

I drink 90 oz of water daily, exercise x5 weekly, and eat a healthy diet.

I have been experiencing swollen lymph nodes down my neck (symmetrically) and a large lymph node under my ear where the jaw and ear XXXXXXX for over 6 months now. I also have been experiencing constipation (the excrement is ball like, hard to evacuate and can take as long as two days before such, sometimes twice a day but always hard to do so and ball like), as well as pain on either side of my abdomen slightly above the navel right under the ribs. I have been GF for six years and all this trouble seemed to begin right after delivery of my second child 14 months ago.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 1 hour later
Dear patient,

Thanks for your query. Have you been tested for abnormal thyroid function? Hypothyroidism, particularly from an autoimmune cause, could have enlarged lymph nodes as well as severe constipation as manifestations, and as you describe those that comes to mind. Usually a TSH is checked as well as peripheral thyroid hormones.

Truly yours,

Dr Brenes-Salazar MD
Mayo Clinic MN
Follow-up: Have swollen lymph nodes. Suffer constipation and abdominal pain. What can be done? 4 minutes later
Yes I have, apparently my levels are "normal" though I do have other signs such as brittle nails, some fine hair loss, and hyper sensitivity, as well as mood swings
Answered by Dr. Jorge Brenes-Salazar 17 minutes later
If the levels were checked more than 6 weeks ago, it may be prudent to repeat them, since for example, in some cases of thyroid inflammation of immune nature, the levels may be transiently normal until the inflammation settles down and then they can be detected at low levels.

Truly yours