Have swollen lymph node in groin area. Concerned

Critical Care Specialist
I have a single, swollen lymph node in left groin. For 1-2 days prior to swollen node, I had a flare of Itching possibly due to fungual problem that I usually get a few days before getting my period. I believe node is now getting smaller, but I'm still a little concerned. I recently moved to a new area and do not have a doctor as of yet.
Posted Fri, 7 Dec 2012 in Lymphoma
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 57 minutes later

The lymph nodes usually get enlarged and swollen secondary to any infection in the adjoining areas. Accordingly this lymph node could have been enlargement could be due fungal infection that is present in the vicinity of the lymph node.

Reduction in size of lymph node is a good sign. Please wait for a week; hopefully that will disappear of itself. If it doesn’t disappear in a week time, you may consult your treating doctor to look for persisting infection. A course of antibiotic / antifungal therapy is entailed.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any follow up question

Get well soon...

Dr Sadiq
Follow-up: Have swollen lymph node in groin area. Concerned 10 hours later
Thank you for your reply. As I research more, I'm not sure this is a lymph node, as it seems to fluctuate in size, never getting any bigger than original size, but sometimes smaller, then a few hours later returning to original size. It is rubbery, it the "bikini" line, some redness in surrounding area where pubic hairs used to be (I had also shaved a little before onset of nodule). Could it be a vein? Would application of warm compresses be OK?
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Thanks for follow up.
Well, if you think this is not a lymph node, the other possibilities of swelling in bikini line area are:

A small lipoma (collection of fatty tissue)It does have the rubbery consistency but doesn't not fluctuate in size

Femoral hernia. Small femoral hernia common in female lies in bikini line and usually occur in female in their late forties. This can fluctuate in size.

Saphena varix.If you think, it is a vein, and then it could be Saphena varix.
It is saccular enlargement of termination of long saphenous vein.
This swelling usually disappears completely when the individual lies XXXXXXX

Warm compresses to swellings I described above, will neither be of any benefit nor harmful.However you can apply warm compresses, it will be beneficial, if the swelling is of inflammatory origin.

Consultation with physician is encouraged to know, what exactly this swelling is.

Hope that answer you query. Let me know, if you have any more queries.

Dr Sadiq