Have swollen lymph node behind ear. What should be done?

General Surgeon
I have what appears to be a swollen lymph node behind my right ear
Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Lymph node can get enlarged due to infection in surrounding area (this is most common) and sometimes due to cancer metastases. If the lymph node is swollen due to cancer it is painless, hard and not movable.
The lymph node which is swollen due to infection can be painful, is always movable and has smooth surface. If you have any tooth pain, ear pain, fever, skin infection, this is the most reason of this lymph node enlargement.
If this lymph node seems more to be like metastatic, the best way to rule the cancer out is to remove it and send to histopathological tests.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.