Have swollen gums. Had endonitis work on root canal. Is this due to nerve cut on front tooth?

I have throbbing and swollen gums when I lay down. Have had endonitis work on root canal last
December plus had and front tooth die and that has the nerve cut out and rootcanal done 10 days ago. All this with
no difference to state.
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thanks for this query.
I feel honored having this opportunity to address this health problem you are experiencing. Hope together we find out what the problem and best solution is.

I will like to get some more precision from you.
Did this gum swelling and throbbing pain start after your dental work? Has it been there before the dental work? I will address these two possibilities.

If the answer is after the dental work, then I am afraid you may have developed a complication from the root canal treatment. Swelling and pain of the gums is the most common complication of root canal treatment. It often results from bacterial infection or the development of a cyst in the treated tooth canal. Seen the fact that this is only about 10days after the procedure, it may actually be more of a bacterial infection than fluid collection in the tooth.

I will suggest you XXXXXXX your dentist. s/he will examine you and probably ask for an xray to control the quality of the work s/he did and find out if there is any fluid collection or signs of an infection. S/he may need to get blood culture done too if you have fevers.

While making the necessary arrangements to see your dentist, please you may want to take some pain killers to relieve yourself of the pains. Avoid eating hard foods and preferable take liquids food so as to avoid aggravating the pains. If you have fevers, then you may want to visit the emergency room for fear of septicemia(presence of bacterial in blood).

If the answer is before going in for these procedures, then you need tests to find out if there is any reason to explain why fluid accumulates and is unable to drain out when you are lying down. An xray to locate where it accumulates and its origin will be very helpful. This is because all other causes of swollen and painful gums like infections, vitamin C deficiency, trauma etc do not vary with positions. only fluid accumulation can cause this

Please, try and XXXXXXX with your doctor in any case. discuss the above options with him/her depending on whether it occurred before or after the surgical procedures.

I hope i have answered your question.
I hope this helps you in approaching and getting this problem resolved.
feel free to come back to me if you need some information I have not provided.
I wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah
Follow-up: Have swollen gums. Had endonitis work on root canal. Is this due to nerve cut on front tooth? 18 hours later
My problems of throbbing and swelling started almost two years ago. I suggested to my dentist for the endodontil work, which did not help. Then a specialist diagnosed the dead from tooth and then had nerve cut plus root canal. throbbing starts about half hour after lying down, I end up taking paracetamol with codeine and sitting up for several hours before sleep comes. My Dr ordered a ct scan which showed no sinus problems. I am off to have implant tooth checked out. this week. Just was hoping for a second opinion and where to go next. Thanks for your prompt reply.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 41 minutes later
Hi and thanks for this further precision.

Clearly, it needs a more elaborate investigation beyond the basics done for common problems. I am happy you are pursuing this as you get even further evaluation for later this week.

For now, I will like to suggest that you avoid lying flat by adopting a semi upright position(raising the head of your bed or by using many pillows) during your sleeps. I think this is going to be helpful in preventing the immediate swellings and pains as your lie flat.

I wish you success as you continue to search for an everlasting solution to this problem. Also, please you may want to update me with what the progress and findings are. Feel free to contact me if need be.
I wish you good health.
Dr. Ditah