Have swollen ankles without much pain due to bad shoes. Have red bruises like marks. Cause?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
started working out about a month ago- i had bad shoes and may have done some damage to my ankles. they both were quite swollen but not with a lot of pain, however, since then both of my legs (under the knee) have red bruise like marks, and are quite swollen
Posted Wed, 23 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Shin splints is the most propable cause.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

Based on your description, I suspect that the most likely cause is SHIN SPLINTS, which implies an inflammation in the front part of tibia.

Shin splints are caused by excessive force (overload) on the shinbone and the connective tissues that attach your muscles to the bone while engaging in sternuous activities.

In most cases, you can treat shin splints with simple self-care steps:

- Rest : Avoid activities that cause pain, swelling or discomfort — but don't give up all physical activity. While you're healing, try low-impact exercises, such as swimming, bicycling or water running. If your shin pain causes you to limp, consider using crutches until you can walk normally without pain.
- Ice the affected area : Apply ice packs to the affected shin for 15 to 20 minutes at a time, four to eight times a day for several days. To protect your skin, wrap the ice packs in a thin towel.
- Reduce swelling : Elevate the affected shin above the level of your heart, especially at night. It may also help to compress the area with an elastic bandage or compression sleeve.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever : Try ibuprofen, naproxen sodium or acetaminophen to reduce pain.
- Wear proper shoes: You should select a shoe that's especially suited for your foot type, your stride and your particular sport.
- Consider arch supports : Arch supports can help cushion and disperse stress on your shinbones.

Resume your usual activities gradually. If your shin isn't completely healed, returning to your usual activities may only cause continued pain.

Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further