Have swelling on lower neck above collarbone with no pain. Cause and cure?

Sep 2012

I have swelling on both sides of my lower neck above the collarbone. No pain - swelling is not raised a lot but size is smaller than ping pong ball. I don't believe this swelling has been there very long, but I'm not sure.

Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 25 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your description indicates possibility of bilateral cervical lymphadenopathy. It means the lymph nodes present in the cervical region of both sides. Depending upon the position, supraclavicular lymph nodes are another possibility.

For confirmation you have to visit a doctor for clinical examination. Position, size, shape, consistency, mobility, relation with underlying structure should all be noted.

Many conditions may give rise to this type of lymphadenopathy. Among them, the most common are infection in the oral region, ear and teeth. So, apart from local examination, these areas should be searched for presence of any infective foci.

Apart from infection, many benign and malignant conditions may give rise to this type of situation. So, fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) should be considered following clinical examination. In case of a noncontributory FNAC result, excision biopsy of that lymph nodes should be performed.

In your age group, do not neglect this situation. Immediately consult with your general physician first.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.