Have swelling in the genitals, buttocks and lip. Had heart virus and have hemochromotosis. Suggestion for swelling?

I have swelling in the genitals, buttocks and lower lip. My internist thought if must be an allergy to amedication
because the swelling is not in my ankles. I am 74 years old and had a heart virus which has now healed itself.
I also have hemochromotosis? which my doctor is monitoring. Do you have any suggestions as to the swelling
Posted Wed, 3 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 1 hour later
From the description it seems, you could be having angioedema.
Angioedema is swelling of mucosa, deep dermis tissue and subcutaneous tissue. It may be associated with swelling in lips, genitalia, tongue, eyes etc with feeling of heaviness, stinging sensation, burning sensation or itching. Sometimes it can be associated with difficulty in swallowing or breathing.
It can be due to allergy to some food or medication. Sometimes it is idiopathic ie no cause can be found.
Angioedema usually responds to oral antihistamine like cetirizine and oral steroid.
I would advise that you XXXXXXX a dermatologist nearby, so that diagnosis can be confirmed and treatment be started.
Hope that helped you. Should there be any other query, please write back.