Have swelling and pulsing feeling in side of neck. How to get relief?

I have a swelling and pulsing feeling in left side of my neck as if something is there and I feel tired a lot. Also I feel ill every morning when I wake up. I am 39, 6 ft 2 inches tall and I weigh about 81 KG.
Posted Mon, 25 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later

The swelling in the neck with a pulsatile feeling along with the symptoms that you have described can be due to a thyroid swelling or a lymph node swelling. A direct examination of the area and a few investigations like blood test for thyroid hormone levels, ultrasound scan and FNAC (Fine needle aspiration cytology) will help in the proper diagnosis.

A generalized viral infection can also sometimes cause such reactionary lymphadenopathy which subsides spontaneously in a week or so. In case the symptoms are persistent then it is best to consult a physician for proper examination and further management.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Have swelling and pulsing feeling in side of neck. How to get relief? 52 minutes later
I have had this feeling for a long time now but it usually comes and goes but is pretty much there all the time now.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
If you are having this feeling for a long time then a thyroid gland swelling is more likely. Reactive lymphadenopathy is not likely to give a pulsatile feeling. Proper examination and investigations are necessary for diagnosis.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.