Have suspected endometriosis. Can I take norethisterone to prevent menstrual bleeding?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Is 5mg of norethisterone once daily without a break, prevent bleeding? I have suspected endometriosis. Provera caused extreme dizziness and s marked drop in BP
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 35 minutes later
Usually for preventing menstrual bleeding better to use norethisterone twice a day.
If your doctor prescribed once daily, you can use that.
But if you get any side effects like breakthrough bleeding with 5mg, then you can change the dose to 10mg.
Norethisterone can also cause some side effects like nausea, bloating sensation etc. So better to use the drug only after general examination and with doctor's prescription.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Have suspected endometriosis. Can I take norethisterone to prevent menstrual bleeding? 29 minutes later
It is for hormone treatment for strongly suspected endometriosis. Neither hormone really works well for me, can you suggest alternatives?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 37 minutes later
Compared with other medicines like danazol, GnRH analogues etc., hormonal pills are having less side effects and preferable.
The other option is diagnostic and therapeutic laparoscopy to confirm the endometriotic lesions and can also to remove them at the same sitting.
But this is preferable in case of severe symptoms only.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.