Have sunken shoulder, no pain but discoloration. Told to have bursitis and history of osteoporosis. Suggest?

I have a left sunken shoulder...I have no pain, but discoloration. At my last Doctor's visit I was informed that I have bursitis. Osteoporosis is also a part of my family history.

Posted Sun, 22 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....treatment of bursitis involves rest,ice compresses and anti inflammatory medications.
Detailed answer...
Hip bursitis is a very common problem and generally it is aseptic bursitis where treatment involves rest,ice compresses,anti inflammatory medicines and proper physiotherapy exercises.Sometimes local cortisone injections are also used,if pain doesn't settle.Infected hip bursitis is rare and involves the use of antibiotics along with other treatments.
As far as osteoporosis is concerned,you should take sufficient dietary calcium along with calcium supplements,exposure to sunshine,proper exercises and oral intake of VIT D.
An oral intake of calcium in dose of 1000-1500 mg daily is sufficient along with 1000 units of VIT D daily.
VIT D can even be taken in doses of 60,000 units every week for 8 weeks and then every fortnightly for 4 months and then every month.
It is very important for you to do regular exercises and regular intake of calcium an VIT D to prevent different musculoskeletal problems,as the age advances.
Occurrence of fracture is very big complication of having osteoporosis and since you have a family history of this problem,you should be careful.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck