Have stiffness between shoulder blades and pain under ribs. How to get relief?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have pain under my ribs on the right side mainly which stretches to my back . I have also in the last month had this constant stiffness between my shoulder blades
Posted Mon, 14 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Such symptoms are very characteristic for gallstones. The pain usually appears after a meal (mainly after fatty or spicy foods), it can be associated with nausea and vomiting and very often radiates to the back.
It is necessary to have some diagnostics. You should start with abdominal ultrasound, full blood work, liver tests and urine analysis.
Gallstones which do give symptoms should be treated with laparoscopic surgery.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: Have stiffness between shoulder blades and pain under ribs. How to get relief? 17 minutes later
Can you tell me what would cause the stiffnes between my shoulder blades . I know it is not tension as I recently had a massage and that did not help. When I pull my shoulders back I can feel it all the way to the middle of my back. Also what can I do to relieve the pain in my abdomen

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Hello!

Stiffness between your shoulders can be associated with gallstones. It can be also caused by spine problems (spinal disc herniation, scoliosis) due to nerves compression. Local muscles inflammation is also possible caused by long holding in one position. In such case massage is not enough.
You can try to use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (the best one for such pains is Diclophenac 2x50 mg - should be used with stomach acid secretion blockers like Omeprasole 20 mg). You should also try Magnesium 400 mg once a day supplementation.
Abdominal pain can be eased with Metamisole and Buscolisine. Hot bath has muscles relaxing effect and should ease both stiffness and abdominal pain.
You should also avoid alcohol, fatty and fried foods, coffee.

Regards.

Follow-up: Have stiffness between shoulder blades and pain under ribs. How to get relief? 8 minutes later
Is being lightheaded one of the symptoms also.

Hello!

Lightheaded can be associated with gallstones due to lack of appetite and decreased food or liquids intake. However, dizziness and chest pain radiating to the left side back, left shoulder or left side jaw should be always checked with heart problems. So if you find this symptoms similar to yours more than just abdominal pain, there is also heart conditions which should be checked. To do that heart ECG should be done at first and you should get scheduled for stress test as well.
If it is heart ischemic problem, nitroglycerin should ease your symptoms.

Regards.