Have stepped on rusty toys and now have horrible headache, stiff neck and racing heart. Suggest?

I stepped on one of my sons rusty toys and it went into my foot and it's been several days now and now I have a horrible headache, my neck is stiff, my heart is racing, and my whole body hurts and I keep trembling. Should I be concerned?
Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tetanus, Rush to ER

Detailed Answer:
Hi Akern,

Thank you for posting this query.

I am sorry to sound so serious, but the problem could be very serious, hence I urge you to immediately call 911 and go to the ER and get treated.

Such trivial injuries are well known to cause tetanus. Tetanus is a deadly disease specially if you have not been immunized recently.

It is quite rare to see tetanus these days owing to wide spread vaccination but it is still quite possible as the tetanus spores lay dormant in the soil and virtually everywhere on earth.

The spores can be present on the broken surfaces of sharp objects and since the bacteria is anearobic it starts multiplying once it enters the body and releases a toxin which is highly XXXXXXX and most often fatal.

Please I urge you to go to the ER right now.

I hope you will recover soon.

Wish you all the very best.