Have stage 4 liver disease caused by Hep C. Want to regenerate liver. Supplements and diet?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
i want to regenerate my stage 4 liver caused by hep-c which has been treated with success this past year and would like help with supplements and diet
Posted Fri, 12 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Health Care Magic,

I assume that you were suffering from chronic hepatitis due to Hepatitis C infection. However, it is not clearly mentioned in your query.

Liver is very sensitive to certain toxins like alcohol, so avoid alcohol. There are a couple of drugs which harm liver e.g. paracetamol in large amounts, halothane ( a drug used for anaesthesia), carbon tetrachloride, phosphorus to name a few.
You should inform your treating doctor about the status of your liver before being subscribed these any drug.

For protecting your liver , there are preparations called hepatoprotectives which protect the liver. You can get them prescribed from your treating doctor as it is unethical to prescribe any medications without examining a person.

In case you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal