Have squishy lump between neck and head. Have oval shaped lesion. Could this be sign of cancer?

hi i have what seems to be a squishy lump that seems to be between my neck and head. it came on all of a sudden and seems like its not going down or anything, i also have a oval shaped lesion on the back of my neck that doesnt bleed or ooze. could this be a sign of some kind of cancer. i dont feel tired, i havent lost any weight recently and i have my apetite
Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely enlarged lymph node.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I strongly feel this lump should be a swollen lymph node most likely. The rapidity with which it appeared is its position is very suggestive of a lymph node. A clinical evaluation by your family physician is usually sufficient to make a diagnosis.

This is caused most of the time by viral infections and usually fade out without any treatment. It is important to note if there is any wound or infection around the head of neck region.

Rare causes like cysts and lipomas can cause swelling. However, they are generally slow evolving conditions, and do not fit your case. You most likely have a swollen lymph node. Testing for common infections, especially viral like HIV and for infectious mononucleosis could be sufficient.

I strongly suggest you consult your primary care doctor. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any specific concerns. I would be very glad making contributions. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers
Follow-up: Have squishy lump between neck and head. Have oval shaped lesion. Could this be sign of cancer? 2 hours later
What would the oval shaped sore on the back of neck could be it's has slightly raised edges and center has like whit shiny skin in middle would it be healing
Answered by Dr. Rogers Nditanchou 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Calm, topical antiseptics and antibiotics, follow

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the update,

In do suggest you could use a local lotion, especially a topical antibiotic to boost the healing process, or avoid the sore from being infected by germs that are found on the skin. Hygiene of the sore with local antiseptic soap and keeping it dry are my advice.

Topical antibiotics generally contain an antibiotic, and anti inflammatory drug and an antifungal drug (Candiderm, Positon creme). These drugs will fight against inflammation, reduce swelling, inflammation and pain and fight against infection.

I do think this should not take so long to heal. In case it persists or aggravates, you might need to see a primary care physician for reevaluation. I believe you do apply the suggested measures and stay calm for a while.

Thanks and hope this helps. Feel free asking follow up questions in case you have any particular concerns. Kind regards.

Dr Rogers