Have sore throat with swollen lymph node on it. What should I do to get relief?

Jun 2015

persistent sore throat Hi my name is XXXXXXX I am a 25 year old female. No allergies no medications. I have had a sore throat for 6 days now. 2 days ago I went to a doctor who did a strep test. It came back negative and she booted me out the door like I was a criminal. I have never had a sore throat this painful or last this long. my lymphnodes on the sides of my throat are swollen. My tonsils themselves are big red swollen with white streaks. I have tried everything from tea to gargling salt water, peroxide, dayquil, otc pain medication. nothing is working. I am being woken up by my pain every morning and it doesn't seem to be improving. I'm borderline thinking of an ER visit. I'm desperate please help.
Posted Sat, 11 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 46 minutes later

All these symptoms indicate that you might be having Pharyngitis & Acute Tonsillitis.

Management includes:
1. Gargle with warm salt water to relieve throat pain.
2. Analgesics like paracetamol
3. Antibiotics against the causative organism.
4. Antihistamine preparations can also be used to provide symptomatic relief.

Intake of pain killers can only help you to get temporary relief from the pain.
But unless the causative agent is removed, the symptoms cannot be eradicated completely.

So, it will be better to consult an ENT specialist & start treatment accordingly.
Since it has already been 6 days, further delay in seeking treatment is not advisable.

Meanwhile, avoid taking cold food & drinks, maintain adequate hydration & take soft, non-spicy foods.

Wish you good health & a speedy recovery.
Please let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.