Have sore throat and severe cold. Test showed SGPT - 77.5 and SGOT - 43. Which antibiotic should I take?

Allergist and Immunologist
Hi, My SGPT is 77.5 and SGOT is 43. I have sore throat and severe cold (normally i develop sore throat due to cold goes inside my throad, i don't know what to call it). Which medicine or antibiotics should I take? I have taken Rupatadine and erythromicin (500 mg) yesterday. Please guide. I had stomach very mild acidity and cramps today in morning.
Posted Mon, 12 Nov 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

The sore throat and severe cold that you seem to have almost always is likely to be house dust mite allergy that has now worsened from rhinitis to asthma and hence you require Asthalin daily.

Such a high requirement of asthalin means you need to be on a combination inhaler like Symbicort, preferably after a full lung function test with reversibility studies.

Erythromycin will not have much effect on the dust allergy and sore throat symptoms unless a coexisting streptococcal infection is present.

Rupatadine is fine to use, but has limited effect on rhinosinusitis on its own and you need long acting antihistamines plus nasal corticosteroids for the postnasal drip (that is the constant 'sore throat' that you have).

The borderline raised SGPT is not a big issue but you may find it better with PPIs like omeprazole, rabeprazole etc taken up to twice daily that will lower the acidity and some of the sore throat as well.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Have sore throat and severe cold. Test showed SGPT - 77.5 and SGOT - 43. Which antibiotic should I take? 2 hours later
Thanks doctor for reply.

The problem is the cough (BALGUM) starts developing (not yet developed as of now). So I need to take antibiotics. Can u recommend medicine for same? Means name of medicine as I am not aware which antibiotics will help and which omerprazole or rabeprazole to take. Should I stop althrocin (erthromicin) and rupatadine. Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 8 minutes later
Please complete the course once started. Continue the course for 5 days and STOP
You can continue on the Rupatadine but add Tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once daily together with a nasal spray like Flixonase 2 sprays/nostril twice daily.
Either Omeprazole or Rabeprazole would help. These are prescription drugs and I would suggest that you see your physician for the same.
You would definitely need the investigations as you cannot start taking antibiotics everytime your nose seems blocked up.

Follow-up: Have sore throat and severe cold. Test showed SGPT - 77.5 and SGOT - 43. Which antibiotic should I take? 38 minutes later
Thanks Doctor,

Is there a way to avoid these allergies? I increase my vitamin C intake and exercise regularly.

Please advice.

Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 16 hours later
We first need to confirm what your allergies are before giving any recommendations.
If it is house dust mite, then dust avoidance while cleaning or vacuuming is important, washing clothes at high temperature or drying out in the sun helps.
Immunotherapy is the last option if optimal medical therapy is insufficient to control the symptoms.