Have sore throat. Gargled with salt water. Started having cough and hoarse voice. What is the cause and cure?

4 days ago, I had a sore throat with no other cold symptoms. I gargled with salt water a few times and it didn't help. I then started to have a prductive cough with yellowish/green phelgm. Two days ago, I woke up with an extremely hoarse (barely audible voice). I also felt like I hit the wall---I felt very tired. It is now day 3 and I'm still hoarse with an occasional same productive cough. I also feel headachy. I do have a hx of asthma;n however it hasn't bothered me for a long time (years). Can you give me an idea of what this is?
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 21 minutes later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The sequence of events highly suggest a viral infection in the beginning / subsequently super-added bacterial infection (green phlegm). It started with Pharyngitis and has now progressed to Laryngitis and Bronchitis.
     You probably need ANTI-BIOTIC at this stage.
     You should SEE YOUR DOCTOR (Pulmonologist) as soon as possible – in such a setting, your asthma could be precipitated any moment.
     Generally, by the end of the week, you will recover. If not, you will need investigations.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck