Have sore throat. Diagnosed throat infection. Took Penicillin. Noticed lump on uvula. Throat cancer?

I stillhave sore throat after 2 weeks. I saw my doctor who said I had a throat infection. I took a course of penicillin. Yet I still have a sore throat. It is only sore on my right side when I swollow. I have notice is small flesh coloured lump on my uvula and one on the right side of my soft pallet. Also it looks light white patch at the back of my tonsil. Do I have throat cancer.
Posted Thu, 8 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later

1. Sore throat even after 2 weeks of taking penicillin and on examination small flesh colored lump on uvula and on soft palate with light white patch at the back of tonsil mostly suggest throat infection. You can get done complete hemogram to diagnose infection as total count and neutrophils count will be raised during infection.

2. This might not have responded to penicillin antibiotic. Do concentrated salt water gargle 3-4 times a day with anti inflammatory drug like Paracetamol and you can take other antibiotic like macrolides or quinolones. I prefer macrolide like Azithromycin. You can get done culture and sensitivity test to pinpoint the bacteria causing it and the drugs which are active against it.

3. The lesion you explained does not seems like cancer and also after examination your doctor has mentioned it as infection. In cancer the tumor is usually localized to one site in early stage (you have affected at 3 sites) with sudden growth may be ulcerative and present with associated problem like weight loss, difficult in swallowing, speaking, foul smell etc but you dont have any of these.

4. Tonsillitis (light white patch) if repeatedly affecting more than 3 times a year with enlargement and obstructing swallowing may require surgery to remove it. Since it is the first time the medical treatment as explained earlier is enough.

Hope I answered your question. Consult your doctor for further examination and management. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries.
Wish you good health. Take care.