Have sore red line coming upwards from the back of anus. What could it be?

hi, i have a sore red/purple line coming upwards from the back of my anus towards my back... i can feel soreness when i sit or lean against a wall near it, it has a sore near the top of the red line and looks as though maybe the line is splitting apart, should I be worried.., what could it be?
Posted Wed, 7 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 15 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Possible causes are
1. Anal fissure- as a sequel to hard stools and constipation.
2. Perianal abscess - The way you describe looks like infection of the area progressing to an abscess( pus formation) if not attended soon.

If early, antibiotics alone is sufficient, otherwise drainage may be necessary.

Medical attention is needed to
1. Examination of the area including rectal examination to see if there is a connection between the rectum and the lesion.
2. To look for other lesion inside the rectum.
3. Start appropriate antibiotics and drain the pus if deemed necessary.

Get well soon.

Follow-up: Have sore red line coming upwards from the back of anus. What could it be? 18 minutes later
Hi again,

There is no pain when using the loo... just pressure to the area causes pain.
the line is more purple than red.

does Perianal abscess start like this? what is Perianal abscess? what causes it?

is antibiotics the only treatment? as I had big problems with thrush following the birth of my 3rd child.

thanks a heap.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 39 minutes later

Welcome back.

Perianal abscess is not the only diagnosis. It can be a fissure/ crack as well.
Perianal abscess is an abscess formation around the anus caused by bacterial infection.
Only physical examination can confirm. Antibiotics/ drainage is necessary if confirmed.
It will be wise to get physically examined and get well soon.