Have small painless lump between neck and shoulder. Can it be lipoma?

I have a small lump between my neck and shoulder. i've never had this before. it is very small and not painful but can be when pressed. Is this possibly lipoma?
Posted Mon, 9 Dec 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 10 minutes later
Brief Answer: it could be lipoma or sebaceos cyst Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing to us. From the description provided, this small lump could be a sebaceous cyst or lipoma. A sebaceous cyst is a small swelling containing foul smelling cheesy discharge and has a central punctum. It is beneath the skin and fixed. A lipoma is a benign lump containing fat cells. It is also underneath the skin and is movable. Both of these swellings can be left as such or if cosmetically unpleasant, can be surgically removed. You may contact a surgeon nearby to get your lump clinically evaluated. Hope this helped. Take care
Follow-up: Have small painless lump between neck and shoulder. Can it be lipoma? 30 minutes later
Thank you very much. It is definitely under the skin, and barely noticeable except when touched. I am not sure if it is movable or not. Do you think I should have it evaluated-- is it possible to be cancer? Do these lumps sometimes dissolve on their own? Are there any known natural remedies? Also, what is a central punctum?
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 46 hours later
Brief Answer: it is not cancer, may resolve spontaneously Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for writing back. I would always encourage a clinical evaluation of the lesion. But if one goes by the description, it is possibly not a cancerous lesion. Lipomas and sebaceous cyst may resolve on its own. Even if they do not, you may avoid getting a surgical excision done as we advise it only if its cosmetically unpleasant to you or has got infected or inflammed. Natural remedies wont help in resolution. A central punctum means that in the centre of lesion a small black dot or depression might be visible. Hope this answered your query. As I said earlier, if possible please get the lesion evaluated by a doctor near by. Take care