Have small lump in neck. Worried about lymphoma? Suggest

hi i am female 57 years old..went to docs tonight as i was freaking about a small lump on my neck..been there
nearly 2 years ..dr says nothing to worry about as fbc came back clear she right? i am worried about lymphoma XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 5 Jul 2013 in Environmental and Occupational Hazards
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Hi and thanks you so much for this query.

I am Dr. Ditah and humbled by this opportunity to answer your health query today. I understand your fears and i know they are genuine and have given us the opportunity to take a close look to make sure there is nothing concerning we are missing out on.

This lump is most likely a swollen lymph node. Swollen lymph nodes can really mean a bunch of so many different things and at times they don't represent or reveal any real problem. The most common causes of swollen lymph nodes are infections(bacteria or viral) and less commonly cancers(lymphoma, leukemia, metastases).

From your description of the lump as small, same size over the past 2years it makes it very likely that it is of no great significance. We consider swollen lymph nodes abnormal if they are greater than 2cm because it is common to feel them in thin people. However, lymph nodes that continue to enlarge(not the case with you), Feel hard or rubbery, or don't move when you push on them and accompanied by persistent fever, night sweats or unexplained weight loss should heighten the concerns for cancers especially lymphoma. I am pretty sure you do not have these symptoms and you doctor did not find these signs on examination.

Lymphoma often present with just more than swollen lymph nodes and also we are talking of giant lymph nodes and not the small ones which have not changed over 2years. Also, doing a blood test is very informative. The fact that your doctor found no abnormality, further makes the chances of you having a lymphoma less likely. I think she is VERY RIGHT to have said so.

For now, I will advice that you stay calm and relaxed. I don't think we have any reasons now to consider this small lymph node under your chin very concerning. However, you should continue to monitor the changes and symptoms I have mentioned above and report promptly if they ever develop to your doctor.

I hope I have answered your query fully.

If you have more questions or information you wish to ask related to this query, please, you are most welcomed. I would be more than happy to address it.

I wish you good health and peace of mind. Once more, thanks for this opportunity offered me.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Have small lump in neck. Worried about lymphoma? Suggest 7 hours later
Thank you..I also had chest xray in October and mammogram ..which were both clear.I am waiting on ENT appointment to come will speak to him about it..thanks. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX and thanks for this further information.

I am happy to know you are getting everything cleared up.
I am more confident that we are going to say there is "no problem found" than "we have found the cause". Please try to stay relaxed and freak too much about this.

I wish you a good trip as you wait on your ENT appointment.

If you have no further questions related to the above query, you may consider closing the discussion at this time. Please remember to rate the answer and write a review. We sincerely care about our clients and hope you do return to use our services in future if need be.
Dr. Ditah, MD.