Ask a Dentist   »  

Have small, hard, tender round lump on upper palatine. Any ideas what it could be?

Hello Dr. Chakraborty:
I am a former nurse that is stymied by the small, hard, tender round lump on my upper palatine. It is not discolored, is non productive when I scrape it with my nail. Would you please give me an idea what this could be. I do not smoke, never have, do not drink and pretty much have the normal aging (I am 62) year old maladies. Please advise if you would kind sir.

Thank you in advance
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 minutes later
Thanks for posting this query.

The differential diagnosis’ for such a lump in the roof of the mouth or palate are Torus palatinus and oral cancer.

Torus palatines are hard, bony growths covered by firm, pink gum tissue on the hard palate. They cannot be moved with fingers and usually start at an early age. Usually they are small and then they can grow very slowly. There is nothing to be worried about such growths because they are a normal anatomy of the oral cavity.

Second possibility is of oral cancer which usually presents as painless growth. Usually malignancies begin in the floor of the mouth but may sometimes start from roof also. Biopsy of the lesion can help in identifying any such malignancy. You should get it examined from an ENT surgeon to confirm the diagnosis as treatment is diagnosis specific.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.