Have small bump in front of ear and sinks when open mouth. Doesn't hurt but have headache. Suggest?

Woke up with a small bump in front of right ear. Doesn't really hurt but I have headaches. Bump is hard. When I open mouth, it also kinda sinks in. What could it be?
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 6 days later

Thanks for using XXXXXXX

1. Since the Bump appeared over night, unilaterally and it moves in with opening mouth, it should be present in subcutaneous region or in skin. Hence, this may be due to sebaceous cyst or lymph node.

2. Male, 25 years: There is more activities of sebaceous gland during this age. It will be pain less nodule and moves with skin. If it does not resolve on its own, then it has to be removed.

3. Lymph node is also present in subcutaneous region, but it occurs along with infection (Viral / bacterial). Since painless, this may be bacterial. With antibacterial therapy, for the cause the lymphnode will reduce its size. If there is an infection, there will be raised temperature, pain and redness in the region(Ear or throat).

Headache may be associated with the infection. You can take mild analgesic like Paracetamol which will reduce headache and also act as anti inflammatory drug. Take plenty of fluids.

4. The correct diagnosis requires its examination. There may be swelling of local tissue like parotid gland also, where there may be no associated symptoms. So I suggest you to consult your doctor for its examination once and its management.

Hope I answered your question.

Consult your doctor for further examination and management. Feel free to ask me if you have any further queries. I will be glad to answer that.
Wish you good health. Take care.