Have slipped disc and suffering from severe back and leg pain. What could be the cause?

slipped disc/ herniated disc
My friend has been suffering from severe back and leg pain since 1 week. The doctors have said could be because of slip disc (MRI yet to be done).
My question is how it is caused?
Can it be because of a previous accident 10 months back, which has developed into a slip disc now?
Or how can we determine how it is caused?

Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Accident or long hours of sitting

Detailed Answer:

I am medical doctor, an associate in Department of Orthopedics, working with an experienced Orthopedician. I answer on his behalf.

Yes, accidents can lead into such slip disc complications in later years.

Also long hours of sitting in a the chairs can lead to such spine defects.

Sometimes infections like Tuberculosis can damage the spine and lead to slip disc.

The cause can be identified through a MRI scan clearly.