Ask a Urologist   »  

Have slight blood in urine, started taking warfarin. Side effect?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
i have a slight show of blood in my urin istarted taking warfrin in XXXXXXX 2013
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May be Warfarin but need to rule out other causes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
The blood in your urine could be due to your blood being too thin as you are taking Warfarin. I expect you have your INR checked regularly and this needs to be within a certain range depending on what the underlying reason for the Warfarin is. If your INR is too high then this could cause spontaneous bleeding in the bladder.
The other cause of blood in your urine could be warts or growths in your bladder. These would be diagnosed by a cystoscopy which is performed by passing a small telescope into the bladder and taking biopsies. This can sometimes be done under local anesthesia or alternatively, spinal or general anesthesia.
To confirm the cause of the blood in your urine, I suggest you see your doctor who may check your INR and possibly refer you to a urologist who specialises in bladder problems.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,