Have sleep apnea and high blood pressure. Noticed blood and pressure in ear. Could this be serious?

ENT Specialist
I have sleep apnea and have been battling extreme high blood pressure while I sleep. I am seeing a pulmonologist and a nephrologist and have been dealing with this for 9 months. My pressure in the morning and presumably at night ranges from 155 to 175 over 110 to 124. I have been feeling pressure in my left ear for the last few mornings and now I have woken today with blood in that ear. Could this be serious?
Posted Tue, 31 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The blood you have noticed in the ear could be due to rupture of the eardrum following increased pressure inside the ear. I doubt any relation between increased blood pressure and the ear bleed, unless you are having an arterio-venous malformation in the middle ear.

Increased pressure in the ear during night could be due to blockage of the tube connecting nose and the ear (Eustachian tube). Eustachian tube block occurs secondary to cold, nasal congestion, nasal allergy and any anatomical obstruction such as deviated nasal septum.

Eustachian tube blockage leads to increased pressure in the middle ear due to which there will be secretions accumulated in the middle ear. When the pressure in the middle ear exceeds, the eardrum gives away, leading to bloody discharge.

I would suggest you to consult your doctor for a complete evaluation of the ear. Also, avoid water into the ear.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon