Have sinusitis, sore throat and swallowing difficulty. History of GERD and rinitis. Proper cure?

ENT Specialist
Sore throat since December. Difficulty swallowing (sometimes clicks when swallowing). Constant need to clear throat - sometimes get hoarse after a full day of talking. No swelling, no fever, no lumps, lymph glands are normal. History of GERD, history of rinitis. Usually problems relax from morning until evening and the later in the day it gets the more trouble I have. Gargling with saltwater helps. Irrigation of nasal passages helps with breathing. No cough, no itchy watery eyes. Ear ache comes and goes - never too painful. I seem very sensitive to dust and mold. If I drink wine the first swallow burns when it goes through my larynx.

I get something similar almost every year but this year it is "hanging on" and throat seems to be more raw. Normally it lasts maybe 3 or 4 weeks. Just started fluticasone, citrizine and guaifenesin (non-decongestant) about 5 days ago. Lozenges help temporarily. Tea with honey helps temporarily. Gargling with saltwater helps temporarily. When I clear my throat it helps for a moment and what comes up is more just thick saliva than mucus. I also just started running a humidifier every night. I bought it a couple of months ago but didn't use it every night.

Oh, I noticed 1 week ago, the day before I went to see a nurse practitioner, a few small, white blisters on the insides of my cheeks and lips. They have not spread but are still there. Overall I feel really good - no other problems. I can sort of "scratch" the area where it is the most raw with the back of my tongue - I don't do that because it seems to irritate it. I have had no tonsils for 45 years.

My feeling is chronic sinusitis with a latent virus. I can get concurrence on the sinusitis/rhinitis but only a naturopath agrees with the virus. I don't have much faith in silver hydrosol but I'm trying it anyway. Looking for other answers.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 50 minutes later

Thanks for writing to H.C.M. for your query.

I have gone through your query regarding recurrent sore throat and hoarseness of voice, you have no tonsils, and have sinusitis, GERD, and off and on pain in ears.

Considering your symptoms and analysing the facts according to your medical history it appears that most probably your sinusitis is giving this problem.Your pathological process is going on like this-

Due to sinusitis your nose gets infected from time to time thus you feel problem of rhinitis this inturn by post nasal drip going to infect throat and giving rise sore throat and some times infection is reaching down upto larynx thus your voice becomes hoarse. Infection from throat may also reach to ear via eustachian tube and developing acute otitis media, a painful ear.

You have very correctly said that gargling and nasal lavage helps you teporarily.For permanent relief your sinusitis has to be manage properly. Therefore thorough examination of your nose and sinuses and relevent investigations will help us to reach to correct diagnosis that may be accordingly manage. this all will be possible by consultation with an ENT doctor.